Preparing and responding to Emergency Situations
- Training people to give first aid
treatment and care of the sick and those who suffered emergency
situations, in cooperation with Ministry for Emergency Situations
and Ministry of Health of Republic of Uzbekistan, other functional
subsystems of GSES.
- Providing assistance to functional and geographical GSES subsystems in gathering medical brigades, and equipping, preparation and control of their preparedness to carry out assigned tasks.
- Arrangement and training of medical aid posts at educational institutions for secondary, special secondary and professional education, in cooperation with public education and health authorities.
- Arrangement of contract based training in providing first medical aid and other help to the injured, for the personnel of Ministry of Internal Affairs of Republic of Uzbekistan, first of all, Central administration of road-traffic safety, cadets, drivers and employees of road-transport organizations.
- Arrangement of specialized TV and radio programs teaching people how to provide first medical aid, self-aid and mutual aid, as well as take care of the injured, in cooperation with the Ministry of Health of Republic of Uzbekistan.
- Arrangement, training, equipping squads and other subdivisions of volunteers of the Red Crescent Society in Uzbekistan.
- Arrangement of warehouses and reserves of goods of first priority of the Red Crescent Society of Uzbekistan for the purpose of providing aid to the people who suffered emergency situations.
- Arrangement of material and technical basis for responding to emergency situations;
- Training Disaster Response teams consisting of volunteers and personnel of the Society;
- Training all sections of population how to prepare and respond to emergency situations; Arrangement and equipping medical brigades and medical aid posts, emergency situations initiative teams among the youth;
- Water sanitary and water supply at emergency situations;
- Reunification of families at emergency situations;
- Delivering humanitarian aid to the people who suffered natural disasters;
- International cooperation at emergency situations;
- Development of plans of preparation and responding to emergency situations at all levels, etc.
Community preparation for possible natural disasters will be carried
out by arranging Local Emergency Situations Committees (LESC) at
local communities. LESC will be arranged in close cooperation with
the Ministry for Emergency Situations. Leaders of local communities
will pass trainings giving experience in assessment of sensitivity
and potential, teaching how to behave at Emergency Situations,
provide first aid treatment, generate plans of responding and risk
When arranging “LESC” in communities, it is important to: raise potential of the community by equipping it with a minimum set of instruments necessary at emergency situations. Emergency situations galleries will be arranged and guidelines will be provided.
During this trainings people learn
simple ways to prepare and resist real disasters, learn how to give
first medical aid to the injured. This helps to decrease number of
victims, injuries and consequences of the disasters.
- training teaching staff of higher educational institutions, general high schools, academic lyceums and colleges, providing methodical assistance during preparing lecturers for students;
- providing educational institutions with materials containing information on how conduct at emergency situations,
- support training activities devoted to drilling actions at emergency situations, organized by education institutions.
- Arrangement of medical aid posts and emergency situations initiative teams.
- Arrangement and equipping RCS cabinets and rooms at educational institutions.
The RCS in Uzbekistan has sufficient facilities to carry out further effective activities in preparation and responding to emergency situations at regional and centralized level. First, this activity is the most important one due to necessity to respond increasing number of emergency situations, second, activities dedicated to preparation and responding to emergency situations gives a chance to complete a number of tasks assigned to the RCSU departments, including statutory activities of the RCS, as well as requirements of the government.
The RCS in Uzbekistan has 15 regional RCS organizations in all regions of Republic of Uzbekistan, and one branch at Uzbekistan railway administration. Also, regional departments of the RCS in Uzbekistan have staff responsible for performing activities devoted to preparation and responding to emergency situations. At the RCS in Uzbekistan a special department of preparation and responding to emergency situations has been arranged as headquarters, it also includes search corps of the RCS in Uzbekistan.
Radio communication at emergency situations – Ñodan
Four departments of the RCS in Uzbekistan (Termez, Fergana, Bukhara, Tashkent), have operating radio stations with extremely high frequency, arranged for delivering radio messages in case of emergency situations when other communication is destabilized.
Reconstruction of two radio stations at Nukus and Samarkand is planned. All radio stations have direct access to radio frequencies of representative offices of IFRS and RS in Almaty and Dushanbe.
Warehouses of the RCS of Uzbekistan
Tents, used clothes, handbarrows, medical equipment, tools and others
Water treatment and water supply system designed for storage and treatment of over 80 000 liters of water per day.
Raising RCSU potential by increasing material base of regional warehouses and the Central warehouse of the RCSU will increase capabilities of the Society in responding to emergency situations and early recovery after emergency situations. Recent practice shows that having significant material and resource basis, the RCS of Uzbekistan gets a chance to operatively respond local and major emergency situations.
One of the integral elements of the RCSU activities in preparation and responding emergency situations is arrangement and equipping disaster response teams consisting of volunteers of the Society (Cardiac Intensive Care Unit). Up to this day there are over 24 teams consisting of 440 volunteers and 75 members of National Cardiac Intensive Care Unit.
These teams render assistance to people at various emergency situations free of charge, and, as a rule, are busy with distribution of humanitarian aid, carrying out events organized by the RCSU, participating in Joint command and staff exercises. All team members have skills and experience in giving first medical aid, arrangement of tent camps, rendering humanitarian aid, providing medical and social services, transportation of the injured.
Teams are equipped with uniform having the RCSU logo, 6 teams are equipped with portable Motorola radio sets, vests, helmets, first-aid-kits, handbarrows, lamps and megaphones. 12 trainings with Cardiac Intensive Care Unit and national Cardiac Intensive Care Unit have been hold for the latest two years. All members of the national Cardiac Intensive Care Unit were taught operation of water treatment unit and are emergency situations water supply specialists.
The RCS in Uzbekistan is proud of Disaster Response Teams.
Red Crescent Society of Uzbekistan holds a number of events designed to preparation to emergency situations within the frames of programs of preparation and responding to emergency situations, financed by International Federation of Societies of Red Cross and Red Crescent, International Committee of Red Cross, European Commission Humanitarian aid Office (ECHO), as well as own funds and capabilities of the RCS in Uzbekistan.
Thus, today the RCS in Uzbekistan realizes two main projects in emergency situations area:
1. DIPECHO-VII. The project is designed to increase awareness of high school students and local communities population (community committees and educational institutions situated in land slide and mudflow danger zones) about natural disasters. This project is realized in close cooperation with “Save the children” partner organization representative office in Uzbekistan.
2. Preparation and responding to emergency situations. The project is designed to raise potential of the RCS in Uzbekistan in preparation to emergency situations by improving knowledge and skills of the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit and improving material and technical basis of the RCS in Uzbekistan for preparation and responding to emergency situations.
One of the leading partners of the RCS in Uzbekistan is the joint project of UNDP and Ministry for Emergency Situations of Republic of Uzbekistan in strengthening potential in reduction of risk of emergency situations in Republic of Uzbekistan. Along with that, the RCS in Uzbekistan harmonizes bilateral relations with other International Societies of Red Cross and Red Crescent by means of exchange of experience in preparation to emergency situations, and on the basis of reached agreements on mutual aid in case of emergency situations.
The RCS in Uzbekistan has a rich experience in holding seminars and trainings on preparation to emergency situations. At this moment department of preparation to emergency situations of the RCS in Uzbekistan can offer trainings on the following, on a paid basis, as well as free of charge:
- Specialized training in preparation to earthquakes (for educational institutions and organizations)
- Training for National Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (for employees and volunteers of the RCS)
- Basic training for the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (for employees and volunteers of the RCS)
- Technical training – Water sanitary and water supply at emergency situations (with using new LMS water treatment system)
- Providing shelter at emergency situations (for employees and volunteers of the RCS)
- Reunification of families after emergency situations (for employees and volunteers of the RCS)
- Basic seminar “Basic concepts and protection against natural disasters (for educational institutions and organizations)
Volunteers and personnel of the RCS of Uzbekistan also actively participate in joint command and staff exercises and special tactical training exercises held by Ministry for Emergency Situations of Republic of Uzbekistan, they are organized at regional level, as well as at central level.